Friday, May 25, 2012

Heart Family

They are the ones you turn to when you are having a down day.  They are the ones you turn to when you have a cardiologist appointment and want to hear what is going on.  They are the amazing people in your life that for whatever reason, God has made them family.  To me, my heart family, means as much to me as my blood family.  I love them as brothers and sisters, and yet, with no blood bond, we are bonded by the heart.  After my heart surgery it was hard to talk to someone who didn't understand what I just went through.  It was a change of life, a change of physical look, and a complete mental overhaul.  Last year, I had the chance to meet other adults who had been born with CHDs.  People who like me look very normal on the outside, but ask them to show scars, will compare a heart scar with you in the blink of an eye.  The ACHA allowed me that opportunity to meet others like me.  Everyone from my roomate Dana whom I love dearly, to Susan who is a heart mom, Mike who is the one of the closest things to a brother I have and Joanie, who like me is also a heart and wired sister.  When things get rough with one of us, we band together and support eachother.  My sister Joanie is going in for open heart surgery on June 8th.  When you look at the calendar and realize that it isn't very far off, you start prayers.  Healing ones.  The ones that hope for when you are at your worst.  But that isn't the end of it.  I was supposed to be going to San Diego for the Beads of Courage, and due to other circumstances, had to cancel my trip to California.  After talking to Mike, he is actually driving down from California to get me and take me back up in time for Joanie's surgery.  We will both be there for her.  Now as a normal person, how many people do you know that would make that trip just because?  I love my heart family, the adults, the kiddos the parents, every aspect to a heart family and what we incorporate.  So tonight, to my sister Joanie, I love you.  I know you will rock this, who better than to have me and Mike with Jim?  Hugs to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment